Church background & important facts
United Church of Tishomingo is a non-denominational church with an evangelical Christian belief, simply meaning we are not affiliated with a specific denomination. You can read more about the church history on the following pages. We observe Holy Communion each Sunday and it is a wonderful part of our worship. We have a blended worship service and recite the apostle's creed that you see below each week as a congregation. Our beliefs are stated in this creed. We believe in God as creator and one and only God. We believe in Jesus Christ the Son and He is the way to the Father and our sacrifice for salvation. We believe in the Holy Spirit and the fact that He is our advocate that Jesus promised upon His ascension to the Father. We believe in the Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) and the fact that Jesus shed His blood on the Cross for our sins. We are a Christian church by the fact that we are saved by His grace. New believers are baptized after salvation. You can also see the "welcome packet" (found in the church foyer) on "how to join" on how a person may transfer membership from churches of "like" belief or by statement of salvation and like belief. Preaching from the pulpit is spirit led and based on the teachings of the Holy Bible as scripture and authority.
I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended to heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
The Apostles' Creed was one of the earliest statements of faith crafted by Christian leaders to clarify basic beliefs. All 14 essential salvation doctrines are contained in it. These are not salvation in themselves, rather clarification scripturally of what we believe (the "core" truths).
- God's Unity - there is only ONE God. (John 17:3)
- God's Tri-Unity - One God existing eternally as God, Son and Spirit. (2nd Thessalonians 1:2, John 1:1-5, John 10:30-33, John 20:28, Hebrews 1:8, Philippians 2:9-11, Acts 5:3-4, 2nd Corinthians 3:17)
- Human Depravity - We are incapable of saving ourselves and need a relationship with God. (Ephesians 2:1, John 3:3)
- Christ's Virgin Birth - Jesus became a human being through a supernatural conception in Mary's womb. (Isaiah 7:14, Matthew 1:18-23)
- Christ's Sinlessness - Jesus was perfect - (1st Peter 2:22)
- Christ's Deity - Jesus Christ was fully man and fully God, He is divine (not just a good teacher or righteous man) Colossians 2:9, Hebrews 1:8, 1st Timothy 2:5
- Christ's Humanity - Jesus Christ was fully human as well as fully divine. (John 1:14, Philippians 2:7,8, Hebrews 2:14)
- The Necessity of God's Grace - God and God alone is able to rescue us. Titus 3:5-7, Romans 9:16
- The Necessity of Faith - Faith, not works connects us to God. (Hebrews 11:6, Romans 4:5)
- Christ's Atoning Death - Only Christ's sinless life, sacrificial death, shed blood and bodily resurrection can bring us to relationship with God. Mark 10:45, 1st Peter 2:24, 1st Perter 3:18, John 14:6
- Christ's Bodily Resurrection - Jesus rose bodily from the grave. Romans 4:25, Luke 24:39, Romans 10:9
- Christ's Bodily Ascension - Jesus ascended, body and soul, to God. - John 16:7, Luke 24:50, 51, Acts 1:9-10
- Christ's Intercession - Christ represents our best interests before God. - Hebrews 1:3, Hebrews 4:15, Hebrews 7:25, 1st John 2:1
- Christ's Second Coming - Jesus is coming again, and we should be in preparation for that. - Matthew 24:30, Revelation 22:12, Colossians 3:3-4, Luke 12:40, John 14:1-3
Dustin Searles (youth pastor) and Hannah Searles
What ministries do we support?
- Samaritan's Purse - Operation Christmas Child (www.samaritanspurse.org)
- Maranatha Ministries - Africa
- Ministerial Alliance - Johnston County
- Goodland's Children's Home (www.goodland.org)
- Jail ministry - Tishomingo, Madill
- Naomi House
- Food Bank - Tishomingo
- Beth Willis - Africa
- Local public schools
- Kibogora Hospital - Africa (http://www.kibogora.org)
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes